Archive for the ‘community’ Category

Let’s Ignite Durham

In two short weeks Ignite (and maybe Zach Ward in a Red Tutu) descends on the Carolina Theatre in Durham, NC with IgniteDurham! Make plans now and reserve your seat.

Ignite Durham will feature presentations selected by members of the Triangle community. Presenters will talk about the North Carolina craft beer industry, honey bees, parenting challenges and volunteering in the Triangle. Special Guests Henry Kaestner, executive chairman of Bandwidth.com and co-founder of Durham Cares; Tom Webster, Vice President, Strategy and Marketing of Edison Research; and Mur Lafferty, writer, podcaster and blogger, will also speak and share their BIG ideas in the five-minute format.

I’m excited to take the stage at the Carolina with support from @CTDceo Bob Nocek. It’s a huge step up from the Lincoln and honestly a HUGE nod of recognition for what has become an AWESOME Triangle event. I’m incredibly proud to be on board officially starting with Ignite Durham, I mean, more officially than just the loud funny guy between Speakers. Thanks to Jeff Cohen, Ryan Boyles and THE Lisa Sullivan.

An event like this couldn’t happen without sponsors. Thanks to DPAC, Word Factory, Ignite Social Media and Carolina Theatre for supporting the community and our BIG CRAZY FANTASTIC IDEAS!

Now, I know what you’re saying, “That event sounds great! I’d pay $45 to see something like that. Maybe $25 for the upper balcony.” I know. Me too. But you don’t have to. It’s Free! YES! FREE! AND! AWESOME! So tweet your BFF, make plans for an early dinner out in Durham and get on Eventbrite now.

SEE YOU ON THE 9TH!

Reserve your seat here.

Startups Take the Bus

I took the bus today. Well, home. I got a ride to my AM meeting on Franklin St, walked to my MFA class, and at 4pm ZW caught the CW back to DSI Headquarters. It was great. I didn’t need to take the bus. I could have driven myself, paid for parking and drove home, but I chose to get a ride and take the bus.

Now up until recently my life was dependent on rides, bus schedules and rental cars; I did not have my own car from July 2000 – April 2010. Four years of that was in Chicago, but the last 6 were a personal choice so that I could focus and bootstrap DSI Comedy Theater. I moved back to North Carolina in April 2004 and decided (after completely mastering Chicago public transit**) I didn’t need a car, that I could forego the car payment and insurance, which would allow me to manage my expenses and be strategic about my time.

It was hard for friends and clients to wrap their heads around ME, the owner of a local business, not owning a car. But it paid off. The theater was able to weather a couple very difficult years because I worked to keep business and personal overhead as low as possible. And when I did make the decision to get a car my time without one (and my HIPPIE town) influenced my choice. I got a prius. The Ninja. And I love it.

I’m curious what personal sacrifices you’ve made to get ahead in business. Where can you make changes in your daily schedule to give just 10 extra hours per week to develop your passion? How can you manage your expenses to bootstrap and afford to see your dream take off? Startups take the bus. What do you do?

** I only fell asleep on the 22 (Clark Bus) ONCE, Just once. I’ll probably tell that story soon.

Zach Must ‘Stache

Movember challenges men to change the face of men’s health by growing a moustache.

The rules are simple, start Movember 1st clean-shaven and grow a moustache for the entire month.  The moustache becomes the ribbon for men’s health and cancers that affect men. Much like the commitment to run or walk for charity, the men of Movember commit to growing a moustache for 30 days. (read more)

Movember Team RDU includes twitter friends @GregoryNg @theRab @MikeAdamsNC @jeremysaid @1918 DSI Alum Paul Overton and DSI Rockstar Shane Smith. Team RDU has challenged Boston, Austin and NYC — Are you down to help? My Fundraising Goal: $1000. Anyone who donates at least $25 to help me hit $1000 will get two (2) FREE tickets to DSI Comedy Theater and $50 will get you tickets and a personalized “ZW Works Out” video. $100 or more and we’ll work out a special prize.

Donate ONLINE at http://bit.ly/ZWstache OR contact me directly.

(Keep up with Movember on Twitter)

Thanks.